When Elizabeth Smith visited a beauty a salon to get her hair done, she never expected she would end up in hospital and lucky to be alive. Then doctors revealed the shocking truth, she had suffered a stroke because she had gotten her hair washed.
It turns out that the position her head was in while getting it washed likely caused an artery in her neck to tear. It’s a rare condition, but it has a name – “beauty parlor stroke syndrome”.
“It is not due to pressure on the artery cutting off the blood supply to the brain, but is much more likely to be caused by a small tear in the lining of the vertebral arteries which run from the back of the neck up into the base of the brain,” neurologist Peter Humphrey with the Walton Centre for Neurology and Neurosurgery in Liverpool explained. “Clots could form on the rough, irregular torn area, break off and be swept upstream into the brain to cause a stroke.”
For Elizabeth, the stroke caused paralysis to one side of her face and, two years on, she still has issues with her balance and vision.