Derek and Ali Dodd drove their infant son to the local day care. They dropped him off and everything was as usual. What they didn’t realize is that a careless mistake would end up causing irreversible damage to their family forever.
A Preventable Tragedy
It was in the day care facility where an employee was to place little Shepard down for his nap. But rather than put him in a crib, the employee placed him in his car seat. Two hours later Shepherd had turned blue. 911 was called. It was too late.
A Silent Killer
It’s a silent killer. When leaving a baby in a car seat or bouncer, they can actually suffocate when not properly strapped. This is how Shephard passed away. “Positional asphyxiation” is the official term.
“I was able to kiss him on the forehead as they wheeled him in. He was cold. So I knew it was coming.”
That same day Shepard passed on, leaving the parents to grieve like they’ve never done before.
A Loss That Cannot Be Imagined
Not many people are aware that positional asphyxia is pretty common and babies succumb to this tragedy frequently.
The family is incredibly heartbroken as they lost a member at such a young age. He wasn’t just a son, he was also a brother and the older sibling was in deep mourning as well.
No One Would Know
The report from the day care actually failed to mention their son’s death.
“What it says on there for our incident…it says she allowed a baby to sleep in a car seat. It doesn’t say anything about him dying. Even parents, wouldn’t even know that he died in her care.”